Skip Navigation Links
grieving father's timeline
share your story

December 12, 2005 - Diane and I decided to go to the hospital and induce labor & delivery. We arrived at St. Luke’s Hospital and went to the Maternity Ward. Diane and I were set up in a Suite and Diane was started on a Cervedil to stimulate her cervix. I stayed with Diane until 10:00pm when the nurse and Diane suggested I go home. I went home and Diane called me around 11:00pm saying she was a lot of pain. I asked her if she wanted me to come back but she said it wasn't necessary.

December 13, 2005 - At 5:00am she was finally dilated enough (3 cm.) to receive an epidural drip to alleviate her contractual pains. She was able to dilate enough (9 cm. -10cm.) to begin pushing to give birth. Diane began pushing and my mom and I stayed in the room to assist her with Dr. Cestare and the nurse staff. (My father split before we started.) Diane pushed as best she could for almost 1 and 1/2 hours with little success. At this time she was finally able to get the baby low enough (after a short conversation we had together) to allow the Dr. to remove the baby with a plunger tool. At exactly 4:09pm Adelina was born and Dr. Cestare immediately cleaned her and placed her in Diane's arms. Then he allowed me to cut the baby's umbilical cord and then the nurses cleaned the baby. Diane experienced problems with discarding the placenta. The Dr. stitched Diane expecting the placenta to easily be removed but there was a problem. He had to greatly raise the dosage of pain meds. to go back in and manually remove her placenta that was stuck and broke, it took 4-5 attempts before completing. Diane was cleaned up by the nurse and was prepped to rest after her tremendous ordeal. I was able to spend some time watching the baby get checked out. My mom stayed with Diane while my Dad and I went to watch the baby get her first sponge bath. (She cried) My parents and I left together. They went home and I went to our house to care for the dog and then I went shopping and purchased flowers and balloons for Diane and Adelina. I returned at 8:30pm, Diane was up, we spoke w/the nurse and I spent the night.

December 14, 2005 - I slept in the hospital and left to go home and take care of Harley. At home I got a Fed-Ex from Joe A. with all the NY papers. Then, I drove out to the Times Herald Record in Middletown to pick up a copy of the 12/13 newspapers to save as well. When I arrived back at the hospital I found my parents there as well. We all visited together enjoying the baby and Diane and I had our congratulation dinner together. At 7:30pm my parents left for the evening and I left as well to go home and take care of Harley, then I returned to the hospital to spend the night.

December 15, 2005 - I slept in the hospital and left to go home and take care of Harley. Once home my parent's came over, my Dad continued to work on the new babies room and my Mom helped me to straighten up the house and put out Diane's Christmas gift. (Bose Radio) Diane called and said that she and Adelina are both ready to be picked up and come home. Mom and I went to the hospital together and packed the car, then we all brought Adelina home for the first time. WELCOME HOME ADELINA!!!

December 16, 2005 - Adelina's First Trip To Grandma & Grandpa's house. While she and Diane visited I helped my parents receive delivery of their new furniture and re-arrange their existing furniture. December 18, 2005 - Adelina's Second Trip To Grandma & Grandpa's house, then Grandma, Diane (Mommy) and I (Dad) went shopping with you to Babies "R" Us. You slept the entire time and you got so many nice gifts.

December 24, 2005 - Adelina's first dinner with her Uncle Vito and Aunt Toni at Grandma and Grandpa's house, along with my brother John, April, Gabriella and Felicia.

December 25, 2005 - (ADELINA'S FIRST CHRISTMAS) December 28, 2005 - Adelina's first Doctor visit with Dr.Varnivitsky right down the road. Her check-up was just fine and she has gained over 1 lb. already and grown a 1-inch too.

January 11, 2006 - Adelina's second doctor's appointment with Dr. Varnivitsky down the road. The doctor weighed her in at 8lbs.10oz., cauterized her belly button, she gave her a hepatitis shot in the left thigh, made her crawl and gave her a complete physical. She is 100%.

January 14, 2006 - Adelina and I went to breakfast together to the Alexis Diner. She was so good, a real pleasure to be with in the restaurant. January 19, 2006 - First time Adelina came into shower with me.

January 20, 2006 - Second time Adelina came into shower with me.

February 2, 2006 - Adelina is not feeling well, she is having trouble breathing, and she is very congested. Diane will be taking took her to Dr. Varnivitsky tomorrow.

February 3, 2006 - Diane brought Adelina to Dr. Varnivitsky who stated Adelina does have a temperature of 101.4; she gave Diane a decongestant and recommended children's Tylenol for the fever.

February 14, 2006 - Doctor appointment with Adelina for two-month check-up. Dr. Mallock checked Adelina and gave her two vaccine shots. Dr. Mallock also diagnosed Adelina with a Cranial Disorder. We will need to go to a specialist for a consultation.

February 21, 2006 - Doctor appointment with Adelina for two-month check-up. Dr. Mallock checked Adelina and gave her two more vaccine shots. Notified Dr. Mallock that Diane identified an early prevention program in Orange County. We are making arrangements for a consultation.

March 4, 2006 - Dad and Mom called earlier and want to take Diane, Adelina and I to Dinner then to Babies "R" Us. We went to dinner at Antonella's Rest. On Rt. 9. Then we went to Babies "R" Us, that are in the same strip mall. Dad and Mom showered Adelina with many gifts. March 6, 2006 - My first day picking up Adelina from the new baby-sitter "Lolly".

March 7, 2006 - Diane called me in a panic; Adelina stopped breathing at the baby-sitter and was rushed to St. Luke’s Hospital. Diane got to the E.R. at the same time as Adelina but it was too late. I rushed to the hospital but I was too late. Adelina has passed away. We were all hysterical, I called my parents on the way there and they were already there when I arrived. Diane and I decided to baptize Adelina in the E.R. Sue Patel stood as Godmother and Dr. Cestari stood as Godfather.

March 8, 2006 - Diane and I were unable to do much; we were swarmed by people all day. John & April came up as well as Joey Tamburello, Jim Shea, Joe Acocella, Clement, Mary & my Mom & Dad. Diane and I received a call from the Orange County Coroner stating that the preliminary results show SIDS. Diane and I spent the night alone, which was a big mistake. We miss you Adelina!!!

March 9, 2006 - Diane and I woke and we had to go and make all the necessary funeral arrangements. Then Diane and I, my parents & John and April went to the cemetery and chose a drawer in the mausoleum. We chose a location at the bottom on facing east toward the sun. Then we came back to the house and we were surrounded by everyone for most of the day. Diane's parent's, Doug and Darlyn arrived at 4:30pm. They decided to stay in a hotel. We spent the rest of the day at home and my parent's spent the night here with us.

March 10, 2006 - We all woke and my parents left when Diane's family came over. Tammy Delafave came showed up along with John & April. We got ready once Diane's family left and John, April & Tammy put together all the pictures and frames John and April had purchased. Diane and I went to the wake with John, April and Tammy (Jersey). Diane and I had the opportunity to view the Adelina privately first. Then we opened the viewing to our immediate families. Then we opened the room to all the rest of our family and friends. Diane and I returned to the house with John, April and Tammy. (Jersey). Tammy went home and John and April spent the night at the house with us.

March 11, 2006 - The limousine's arrived and we all left to go to the funeral home. We arrived and most of my family was already there. We asked them all to wait outside the room. Diane and I viewed Adelina with our immediate families & Uncle Jack, Uncle Vito & Aunt Toni. Diane and I carried Adelina out of the funeral home to the herse outside and placed Adelina inside. Then we went to the church and Diane and I removed Adelina from the herse and we carried her into the church together. Once mass had ended, Diane and I carried Adelina from the church back into the herse together and we headed for the cemetery, we passed our house, stopped for a moment and the funeral director (Amy) got out of the herse and placed a rose at our front door. After leaving the front of our house, we headed to the to the Cemetery. Then Diane and I removed Adelina from the herse and we carried her to her drawer. Then the priest said a prayer and we laid Adelina to rest and everyone laid a flower on her casket.

March 13, 2006 - Diane and I went to the cemetery to visit Adelina for her three-month birthday. We brought her a stuffed bear that I tied to the wall of her crypt. We also brought a zip lock bag that we filled with birthday notes and I taped it to her wall as well. My Memories With Adelina